Pages





Sunday, August 9, 2009

Depression Is Not a Mood

Just thought I'd post this again . This blog is about depression, but as you can see by the symptoms, its difficult to actually sit down and write something. Would that I could. I'd pen lines of joy and happiness; lines of hope and a future. I don't know........would number 11 do any good?

When You're Depressed...
1. You feel sad or cry a lot and it doesn't go away.
2. You feel guilty for no real reason; you feel like you're no good; you've lost your confidence.
3. Life seems meaningless or like nothing good is ever going to happen again.
4. You have a negative attitude a lot of the time, or it seems like you have no feelings.
5. You don't feel like doing a lot of the things you used to like -- like music, sports, being with friends, going out -- and you want to be left alone most of the time.
6. It's hard to make up your mind. You forget lots of things, and it's hard to concentrate.
7. You get irritated often. Little things make you lose your temper; you overreact.
8. Your sleep pattern changes; you start sleeping a lot more or you have trouble falling asleep at night. Or you wake up really early most mornings and can't get back to sleep.
9. Your eating habits change; you've lost your appetite or you eat a lot more.
10. You feel restless and tired most of the time.
11. You think about death, or feel like you're dying, or have thoughts about committing suicide.

2 comments:

  1. This post bothers me. This is at least the second time you've either outright mentioned suicide or alluded to it in a very short period of time. I really hope this doesn't mean what it sounds like. Does your wife ever read your blog? I know your depression is far worse and more complicated than mine, but I still know that darkness that can consume someone who is in the depths of depression. I've been there more than once. Please talk to your wife or your doctor or a close friend. I wish you well Darrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darrel,
    I don't think #11 would do at all. I know there are days or even weeks when you see no light at the end of the tunnel. But I also know you have a deep faith and that you can seek Him out in the darkness. It isn't always easy, there can be what seem to be insurmountable obstacles in the way. But He is there and you can cry out to Him.

    I am also in agreement with Tricia. The darkness can be consuming. Maybe you should talk with you doctor and make sure your meds are in the correct dosage.

    I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete