Pages





Friday, January 9, 2009

The Loneliness of Depression


1. Agitation - emotional state of excitement or restlessness
2. Anxiety - painful or uneasiness of mind
3. Fatigue - weariness from bodily or mental exertion
4. Guilt - a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense,
wrong real or imagined
5. Irritability - easily irritated or annoyed; readily excited to
impatience or anger.
6. Suicidal ideation - thoughts about suicide, which may be as
detailed as a formulated plan, without the suicidal act itself
7. Rage - violent anger….a fit of violent anger

Agitation
I just can’t sit still.
I leave my office and go down to the assembly line. My hands sweat. Sweat runs down my sides. Everything is going okay…. except my leadman John is piling up way too many rejects. I’m going to have to pull someone off the line and have them repair the pumps on downtime. That will come right out of my budget and I have to account for every penny. I turn to Karen at the sub-assembly bench.
“Can I have a cigarette?”
‘I thought you quit smoking.”
“Just one…..come on Karen.”
“Okay but you were up to a pack a day and I thought you were doing so good”
“Just this one, okay?”
“That’s what you said an hour ago.”
“Come on…..just one more”
The nicotine hits my system and I feel a bit of respite.
Karen looks at me.
“Everything is going smooth Darrel; you don’t have anything to worry about.”
How does she know? Can she feel the terror I feel? How can she tell that I’m screaming inside? Can she really see my fear?
“Darrel, its okay.”
I turn and walk away before I break down and cry in front of her. I know she can see into my soul and that frightens me even more. I’ve got to get away from Karen lest all the fear come gushing out.
From ten feet away I glance back at her to see a quizzical/hurt look on her face. She knows and cares but I can’t let myself break the shell. My shell protects me.
My shell.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, darryl, you sure put the picture out for all to see. I have never understood depression and I believe never suffered from it until last October, I had a bout of something that I never felt before, it lasted for a couple of weeks and was sure it was brought on by an extremely stressful event in which I was left standing with the clothes I wore.

    I am literally starting my life again and thankfully those feelings that I felt at that time haven't returned. But I did comment to a collegue mention that I think I understood now about depression which I had often considered imaginary, or psychosomatic.

    Best of luck

    AV
    http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
    http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
    http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argentum
    What you experienced (probably) is called 'situational depression' Depression brought about by extremely stressful circumstances. Yours was not a chemical imbalance but it was just as painful nevertheless. I'm glad to hear that you are 'out of the tunnel'. Its encouraging to know that one can actually pull themselves out of depression. You have my utmost respect.
    I'm going to talk about the other symptoms that I have when I get the courage. Stay tuned if you like
    darrel
    PS
    I liked your blog so much I put it on my recommended list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darryl ... I so admire your courage and honesty in talking about depression. Maybe others who are feeling that loneliness will feel a little less so by reading your words. I have not suffered from depression (I'm knocking on wood and thanking my lucky stars) but someone in my family is Bi-polar. Every time I visit your blog ... I learn something. And maybe that will help me help this family member.

    BTW ... I want to thank you for your very kind comments on my blog ... you made my day!

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops ... I'm sorry ... I know a "Darryl" and automatically went to his spelling. Please forgive me, Darrel!

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been mulling this post over in my mind since I read it yesterday.

    Unless you have experienced this first hand, I don't think you can fully grasp the intensity of it all.

    I commend you for your courage in writing this and giving us all a small glimpse into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Agitation
    2. Anxiety
    3. Fatigue
    4. Guilt
    5. Impulsiveness
    6. Irritability
    7. Suicidal ideation
    8. Panic
    9. Paranoia
    10. Pressured speech
    11. Rage
    Inge
    Each on these are real. As real as life itself I'll write about them when I can summon the courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darrel;
    Hi Darrel

    Wow my friend so glad you found us again

    thanks so much for your comments on my blog

    hope you are feeling ok my friend

    the blog roll thingy you get by


    1 go to customise and click
    2 click on add gadget
    3 click on blog list
    4 add the blogs you want to add to your scroll

    hope that makes sense

    take care and see you soon

    andy your highland friend




    you are an amazing writer my friend and it is so good to share how you feel

    all our love to you my friend from bonnie Scotland

    thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darrel, (right spelling this time, I did the same as SF, a friend...) Thanks for the comment, enlightening, and also for the link, appreciated.

    AV
    http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
    http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete