Pages





Thursday, January 29, 2009

Invisible.Desease

As a young girl of 10, Marilyn Shuler developed polio; a virus which has been virtually eliminated in the United States. However, in the 1940s and '50s, when Marilyn was a girl; polio was an epidemic, affecting thousands of children every summer. Polio was the AIDS of its day, with fear and misunderstanding about contagion. Not only was the disease physically crippling and potentially fatal, but it also carried a tremendous social stigma; mostly because it was associated with poverty.

The stigma was compounded by the forced quarantining of the entire family for three weeks once polio was diagnosed in any member of the household.
The social isolation gave Marilyn empathy with others who; because of the color of their skin, their religion, or other disabilities; were also seen in an unfair way.

"I couldn't go to school because of the stairs; I couldn't climb them.” The lowest point, she says, was when she fell in a class and the teacher refused to help her up.

"If I'm on a scooter, having a hard time, people are courteous because it's very obvious I need help. But I wonder what it would be like if I had a mental disability? I could have walked in, feeling like committing suicide, and no one would know because it's so hidden. It isn't as easy to be of assistance."

So many of us suffer from an ‘invisible disability’. The people around us would be happy to help us but they can’t see the thoughts of suicide that run constantly thru our minds. Those that have been told that such things are happening to others just can’t believe people could think those kind thoughts. Many of us suffer from the ‘polio’ of our day. It is our duty to educate both ourselves and those around us.


http://australianscreen.com.au/titles/homes-for-crippled-children/clip3/

http://microbiology.columbia.edu/PICO/Chapters/History.html

6 comments:

  1. You visited my humor blog this morning and commented. I usually try to follow up on visitors so that's why I'm here. I'm impressed by your blog. I don't have time to read everything this morning but will be back. ~ tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tricia, I appreciate your visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad that our society is such that people keep "disabilities" hidden because of the stigmas attached. Whether it's polio, depression, suicide or being a victim of abuse ... it stays hidden. And "hidden" almost always means suffering. Perhaps with education and compassion, we will get to a point where we can offer help rather than judgment.

    Your blog teaches us to look at others with kinder eyes! Thank you, Darrel!

    Small Footprints
    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said 'hidden' almost always means suffering. I've never thought of it that way but it is so true. You are so insightful you amaze me. I've read a number of your other blogs/comments and its true.
    darrel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hidden also seems to imply isolation particularly in our own minds. I have been with depression for 25 years and recently had a major 'crash'. Sometimes, trying to hide the depression just becomes impossible. Also battling against the depression becomes very hard - almost like pushing a boulder uphill. Sometimes I just do not have the energy any more and it becomes easier to just go with the depression - let it define and take me.
    www.strayblackdog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far my medications are holding and while I'm by no means cured...I AM in remission. I can still feel the pain you're feeling. The depression drains the energy from your mind and body until the boulder rolls back over and crushes you. My heart goes out to you Andrew. Hang in there.
    darrel

    ReplyDelete