Pages





Monday, December 22, 2008

Personal Depression


After over 30 years of doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists I was diagnosed with Mixed States. I was put on Lithium, Equatro, and Thyroid. It took about 3 months but almost miraculously I actually began to feel better. It was as though I were tentatively finding my way out of a long dark tunnel. At first the light was so intense that I really couldn’t bear it. I retreated back into the tunnel where I was ‘comfortable’.
After seeing improvement then retreat, my wife almost threw up her hands, but I guess she figured she had so much invested that she may as well hang in there a little longer.
I’ve been on my new medications for about one and a half years. I’m not completely out of the tunnel though. My doctor still has to tweak my meds by changing dosages and adding things like folic acid and Co Enzyme Q-10.
The biggest problem I face now is how do I overcome the personal quirks that depression has forced on me over the last 30 years?
For example; my temperament is that of an easy-going, fun-loving person, but the rage in my depression has driven my wife away from me. When she would isolate, then, of course, I would too. How do I change this emotionless shell I’ve built around myself? I’m trying to be the man God meant me to be but I just don’t know how to change. Can anybody help me? I just need some advice.

6 comments:

  1. Darrell, thank you for visiting my blog. I also like your blog and will visit often. I understand how you feel. Understanding may be the best help we can offer each other right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ozzieblackcat
    What is the name of your blog? I want to bookmark it. By understanding do you mean in an emotional or knowledge sense? I've lived with the emotions for so long I now want to understand why I acted that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darrell, Thanks for commenting on my blog at http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com it is much appreciated! In response to your question on what history I write... I concentrate on Yreka and Siskiyou History in addition to my personal family history (I love genealogy!)

    Your blog is interesting and although I have usually been on the "outward side" of depression I have seen glimpses of the very dark inward places one can go ~ very gloomy. Keep up the good work, it is an important thing folks need to be more knowledgeable about! Knowledge is power, I truly believe that! Wish you a Great Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darrel

    so good to see another person talk openly about depression have suffered from it most of my life

    andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANDY &amp
    Do you think 'explaining' how depression works rather than just telling my story is a good approach? I want folks to 'understand' about depression and how it works.
    Darrel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Darrel

    i believe it is important to throw as much light onto this subject as possible

    my hat is off to you my friend for openly taking about it

    hope 2009 brings you peace and light


    the daft highland hermits

    andy & mel

    ReplyDelete